Tuesday, January 13, 2009

People Watching

So, I'm at my favorite coffee shop waiting for my friend to arrive and dinkin' around on my laptop and there's this guy that I can't stop watching. He's on his laptop and every now and then he starts to giggle to himself, trying not to be loud but I can hear him over my headphones. Minutes later he looks pissed, swearing to himself and everything. He then continues to read whatever it is that he is looking at...he is totally a mouth reader. I can practically read his lips.

Later, after Patti and I had been playing cards for a while the chess 'club' comes in. Its not an uncommon thing here. There is even a sign on the door that says "all chess games must be completed an hour before close". Two guys come in and sit a table next to us. They are playing chess with a 'Muppet's' themed set. A few minutes later there are probably 10 guys hanging out around two other tables watching and playing in a tournament fashion. They are kind of rowdy. Yelling moves at each other and cheering others on. It was interesting to me that they completely ignored the guys playing with the 'Muppet' set. The spectators were surrounding their table watching the two other games going on around them. These 10 other guys didn't even glance at the 'Muppet' players... I found this interesting.

Watching people reminds me of my dad. Any crowded place he would constantly be watching people. I love watching my dad watch others. I remember going to Cedar Point when I was younger. He would be able to tell the dynamic of the group he was watching. Things like, "they're newly weds", or "he's trying to get his step-son to like him more, its not working". Occasionally he would make small talk with the people in line with us, the sometimes 2 hour line for a 2 minute roller coaster ride. Assuring the kids around us that there is nothing to fear about this "awesome ride" even he'd never ridden it himself. I guess you could say that through this he taught me to be a better observer. I could sit and watch people for hours. I enjoy it. I enjoy watching the people around me in crowded places. My favorite places are at out side concerts, amusement parks, and the 4th of July carnival. It's amazing the things people do when they think no one is watching or the things they say when they think no one is listening is fascinating.

My dad died when I was 15, a freshman in high school. I miss him the most when I realize I am doing things he 'accidentally' taught me.

Thanks Dad for teaching me to be a better observer and therefore a better listener. I miss you, I love you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your dad sounds like an awesome man. I'm sorry you didn't have more time with him, however it seems his love and energy has lived on through you.

I hope I can leave a similar legacy with my children.

p.s. I would have cheered on the Muppet Chess players because I like to go against the majority.