Monday, January 19, 2009

music

I missed music. I hadn't realized that my recent deep depression had me pushing it from my life. I forgot how music can move me. How it reminds me of my past - both good and bad memories. How it can lift my spirit. It can take me back years, decades even. It brings back feelings and smells, even the weather. Music is one of the things that helps me connect to my past.

I guess you could say that I had been avoiding it recently. I wasn't listening to my ipod at all. I wasn't seeking new music, I wasn't finding any connection. Since starting on my antidepressants I have rediscovered my music. I used to sing in the car, in the shower, while cooking. That is all starting to come back to me. My ipod is always with me now, I'm reconnecting. It helps me reconnect to me, to help me feel my feelings. I can better express what I am feeling when I find a lyric that describes my mood. The lyrics help me put words to my sometimes word-less feelings.

I think that with music back in my life and the right prescription I can find my way back to me.

I have a very eclectic taste in music. Some of the artists I like are:
First and foremost Matchbox Twenty and Rob Thomas. Matchbox got me through some tough times in my life. I first found them when my dad was dying.
Sarah Bareilles
When I was in 5th grade Bette Midler was better than sliced bread.
Daughtry
In high school - The Goo Goo Dolls
Alanis Morissette
Britney Spears - when I want to feel dirty
Buck Cherry
Celine Dion
Creed
Dixie Chicks
Domestic Problems - only one song really, 'Untitled' - the accoustic version
Jewel
Led Zeppelin
Madonna
Maroon 5
Norah Jones
Pop Evil
Queen
Tori Amos
and some country here and there

I also like musicals and soundtracks
Chicago
Moulin Rouge
The Phantom of the Opera
The Mission - only when I feel strong enough, it reminds me of my dad, often there is just too much emotion to listen to it.

What is your favorite music?

No comments: